Thursday, August 14, 2008

I might be suffering from OCPD

Hey, I might be one of them. Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder that is characterized by a general psychological inflexibility, rigid conformity to rules and procedures, perfectionism, moral code, and/or excessive orderliness.
People with OCPD tend to stress perfectionism above all else, and feel anxious when they perceive that things are not "right. over wiki
If you know me well, it’s probably time when you said yes, I think you’re one. Okay, I’m just going to rewind from the beginning why would I end up finding this.

I had a little conversation with my work mates this morning about house cleaning, how sometimes it’s hard to adjust with your flat mates demanding house cleaning rules. This is not a small matter when you are in a share house. It could be a beginning of a catastrophe. I had my own experience with my flat mates, since then we’ve never talked to each other again.

My work mates started telling the story where the uncomfortable situation started between his two flatmates because one of the clean/tidy guy hates when the ironing board wasn’t store away after being used. Even though, he has already reminded the other guy to put it away. (luckily, my friend is off the hook, since he has never iron his clothes ughhh he is definitely the slacker type, the worst of all). We had this argument about this ironing board, what is necessary? I’m my self, admittedly, has been screaming to my sister to put it away since ironing board is not part of the furniture and will be a place to start the piling up clothes and clutterness. Do you think it’s necessary to store ironing board after being used?

Of course, I have plenty of other rules how my place needs to be neat and tidy. I’ve always be the clean freak and very demanding, even my mom don't understand (I might have hurts my mom feelings on this, sorry mom). I hate the feelings surrounded by messiness. All the negatives vibes are all on me, I would get mad easily and yell a lot. I could tolerate for couple of days, but when it builds up I got really frustrated.

I felt so much better when things back into their normal arrangement. When I was a child, I would not anyone allowed to touch my study desk, since everything has it’s own order. I like things to be PERFECT! This rules is applied in life in general, and of course in my design.

Have you guys ever watch desperate house-wives? Bree Van De Kamp
would be the right character that fit me. Look at her hair! it's perfectly neat. She is the perfectionist housewives type, I noticed that she’ll do more cleaning if she’s face with problem rather than solving it. She is probably little bit too much, I don’t clean as much as her but I would act in similar ways.

In my final words, I would tick all the OCPD diagnostic criteria. Yes, I embrace details, rules, lists, order and plan. But, maybe for now I haven’t been fully obsessive with it. Just take this post as a warning sign. Reminded me when I'm over the line.

What kind a person are you: neat freak or don't care — there's so much things in life? How often do you clean your place: weekly, montly or whenever i feel like to?

No comments: