Monday, February 08, 2010

Take your time: Olafur Eliasson


360 room for all colours
(2002)


I felt very very lucky to be able to see the exhibition down at Sydney. The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA), Sydney is the only Australian venue for the exhibition, generated by San Fransisco Museum of Modern Art. It was just happen that I was down at Sydney :D

Even though I like art, but I have not heard Olafur Eliasson before. I came to visit the MCA to see how the gallery since I applied for a position there. To be honest, I am trully fond of the exhibition. I think this is the first art exhibition that gives a really great sensation. It's hard to put it in words, but once you experience it you'll understand.

Olafur Eliasson is an artist born in Denmark who transforms our experiences of the space around us. Take your time: Olafur Eliasson takes the form of a visual journey, in which viewers move from ligh-lifted open spaces through immersive, built structures. Individual works find inspiration in the distinctive landscape, theories of colour and perception.



spoiler allert: if you are going to see the exhibition, you might not want to read this.
My favourites would be the Beauty (1993). You would have gone through this dark (pitch-black) tunnel that seems have no ends. You would become quite anxious wandering what will happen in the end of the tunnel or will the tunnel ever end. In the end of the tunnel, you would find your self inside in a dark room like a cave, you would see the Beauty comprises a thin veil of mist (water), illuminated obliquely by spotlights which produce a soft, hazy rainbow effect. The Beauty, it's such a perfect name, it was really beautiful and soothing. I wouldn't mind having the instalation if I have big contemporary house.



Sunset Kaleidoscope (2005)

The exhibition runs at MCA, Sydney ends in 10 April 2010, more information here. If you interested to come to exhibition, remember to take your time…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good time in Sydney. I might be heading to Jakarta in April with a friend for the weekend. ;)

DIANS said...

In April???!! what is the occassion? I'm booking my ticket to Jakarta for this weekend… hmmm shall I make a detour and visit you as well? I am not gonna start working till March.