Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kimchi fried rice and enoki mushrooms pancakes

Korean food is my current favourite dishes. I don't know how long has it last, but I always crave for Korean dishes. I would suggest going to Korean restaurants for most occasion.

During winter, Korean dishes are the best to serve. Since most of the cuisine is always hot and spicy. It's not hard to cook Korean dishes, once you know their basic fundamentals, which are:
  • hot & spicy, they use Gochuchang (Korean fermented chilli paste) for their spicy dishes.
  • Sweet, they always add sugar in their dishes. For beef marinade, they use Nashi pear to give the sweetness. This is used to marinate Bulgogi beef.
  • Garlic, they love garlic. Garlic will always be in the main ingredients.
I cooked Kimchi fried rice (Kimchi Bokkumbap) and enoki mushrooms pancakes (Paeng-ee Beosut Jeon) few weeks ago. I found this really excellent blog called My Korean Kitchen filled with simple, original Korean recipe written by a Korean girl. Sadly, the blog has stopped. There was no explanation why she stopped writing. Although, surprisingly, the forum is still alive, people still come and discuss the recipe that she posted.



You can follow the simple Kimchi fried rice recipe from here. But I made my own modification by added Gochuchang and tomato sauce mixed with sugar and water. Since there is only little kimchi juice when you bought the Kimchi. The combination sauce that I added was actually a based sauce for Bimbimbap (hot stone rice).



The enoki mushrooms pancakes wasn’t quite look the same from what it looks like at Korean Kitchen. But it was taste great, I am happy. Definitely, going to make them again. The recipe is available here.

So, care to give it a try? Do you have any favourite dishes that you would like to share?

No comments: