Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Baking: Black forrest cake

Black Forrest Cake
Black Forrest Cake

Looks good from the top, isn't? bit messy from a side :P I followed the recipe
from Food Safari. It's more a traditional version. Do you know that Black Forrest Cake came from Germany. They would have the cakes with black coffee and yes, they pour in lots of kirsch (cherry brandy) into the cakes. The cake it self isn't soft sponge cakes. It's bit more solid like mud cake because you need it not to be soggy when you pour in the kirsch. It has layers of cake, cherry jam, whip cream, cake, chocolate mousse, cake, chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings which is the forrest^^

This is probably the most intensive labour cake that I've made so far. Took me a week to create this cake!!! Just because of my lacking of patisserie skills. I never knew that someone can fail making a whip cream!!! which I did, I whipped them too long and the cream was not cold anymore… so it turned into butter T_T I also thought making chocolate shavings is easy… I saw it once when Jamie Oliver did it… I followed his advice, but ermm… it doesn't work T_T Anyway, there's more drama involved in making this cake, but i think it's too embarrassing to tell.

Overall, it has been fun making the cakes — like making Kirsch cocktails at 9am in Saturday Morning ;)

No comments: